Create a wild food or flower bowl using South Australian native plants
Join horticulturalist and land-carer Jenny Deans in a hands-on creative and informative workshop.
Use recycled materials, quality potting mix and a selection of locally grown native plants to put together a colourful planter bowl to take home for the office, balcony or garden. This project uses plants native to the Adelaide area, with guidance on what plants will suit your interests and space.
You'll discover how to make your potted plants more water efficient. The workshop will begin with a practical session on converting your pot into a wicking bed. You can choose plants to attract butterflies, native bees and honeybees, and small birds. Or maybe you want to eat your garden - choose edibles for the kitchen or snacks from the great outdoors.
There will be many plants to choose from on the day, with additional pots of natives available to purchase. Example plant selections include:
- 'Food feature' edibles (two selections for different microclimates)
- 'Climbing the walls' climbing plants for the fence, trellis or railing
- 'Those pretty little things' small plants with little flowers - great table setting
- 'Buzz goes the Native Bee' discover blue banded bees!
- 'Some like it hot' for a hot sunny balcony or garden
- 'Fabulous flowers' the showiest flowers
- 'Basket case' reeds traditionally used in for basketry
- 'In the cool of the shade' for shady corners outside or bright areas indoors
- 'Buffet for butterflies and bees' with flowers most of the year
Notes to attendees:
- Wear 'gardening clothes' closed toe shoes, sunhat and sunscreen, bring gloves.
- Morning tea supplied - please advise of any dietary limitations.
- Please bring a large bag to take your planter home in.
- You can also bring special rocks or ornaments to add to your creation.
One bowl of plants per registrant. Children welcome (with adult).
The Adelaide Sustainability Centre is proudly supported by theAdelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges Natural Resource Management Board and Conservation SA.
111 Franklin St
Adelaide, SA 5000
Google map and directions