A special message from our Joinery team at the end of a very big year.
Well, here we are at the end of what’s been an extraordinary year of change, challenge, and uncertainty for us all in the face of a global pandemic.
There's never been a more important time to be part of a community like the Joinery's, though we’ve all become more accustomed to meeting online than in person this year.
It's been inspiring to watch as people have adjusted and adapted to the changes and restrictions that have been put in place, and the creative responses to those constraints.
Check out this highlight reel of some of our big moments of 2020!
Fringe events started the year in a festive spirit, with the wildly popular Harry Potter-themed escape room Airy Botter and The Sorcery School Headmasters Office, Nothing But Dad Jokes, Eat Love exhibition featuring the artworks of talented SA artist Hannah Rohrlach and Veiled Reality, a South Australian exclusive showing of the world-renowned photographer Bojana Jokanovic.
We also saw the City of Adelaide's exciting Cool Road project launched outside our front door.
Then COVID hit.
With the Joinery's closure in March, we moved our work online and launched the Joinery Community Share Cart to share basic supplies with those in need during this challenging time.
And while our doors were closed this year, we took the opportunity to make some big changes:
- A kitchen and waiting room area upgrade improved amenities on level 1
- New solar panels were installed to power the Joinery, made possible by our incredible supporters!
- Mobile plant divider walls were installed between the Café and Exhibition hire space to create a living wall of loveliness
- New paving was laid by the entrance of the Joinery to accommodate up to 12 more café patrons
- We made cosmetic improvements including a bright, botanical fence wrap and fun new signage around our spaces
- Beautiful garden lighting was installed for outdoor events
- Our community garden was upgraded with clean-up and landscaping, installing planter boxes and re-painting the garden photo board
- An art exhibition wall was installed, allowing us to hold monthly art exhibitions since re-opening in July
- A venue hire system and process upgrade, helping us work closely with hirers to give them the best experience here at the Joinery.
Throughout the second half of the year, we've adjusted to doing business in a new world with a pandemic as a part of the equation, with staff training, online events, and COVID-safe practices to ensure our community is safe and happy while visiting our spaces.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the new year, and are excited to bring you some great celebrations early on in the piece to get it off to a happy start!
We're happy to announce that our postponed Christmas event is coming to life again as Groove in the Garden: Summer Session on 5 February!
With delicious food available from the award-winning Foodprint Experience, delightful wines from Gemtree and toe-tapping tunes from Brazil Nuts Orchestra, this is one sustainable celebration you don’t want to miss.
Click here to RSVP (numbers are limited!)
And there are so many more exciting events on the horizon for the coming year - stay tuned!
See you all in 2021 (hopefully more in person next year). 😊
Kirsty and Andi
The Joinery is a project of the Conservation Council of South Australia